Monday 20 October 2014

Cambodia...

Hello everyone! 

I am currently lying in bed in my hotel room in Bangkok, back where We started our South East Asia adventure. We arrived today from Cambodia and I honestly cannot believe how quickly it has gone. Our short but incredible tour is coming to an end and I still can't play the ukelele nor do I have a hair braid. My priorities have well and truely slipped. 

We arrived yesterday after jumping in a taxi with a driver who kept falling asleep at the wheel and started repeatedly punching himself in the head to stay awake. I was preparing myself to sing the Proclaimers at the top of my lungs just to keep him awake. Transportation in Asia never fails to dissapoint. After checking in we went to the gym in the hotel and used actual weights for the first time in 6 weeks (cannot move my arms, my morning ritual of the Hokey Cokey is out), got fried chicken from the street market (gave us the shits), cheated on our no Westernised food rule and bought magnums (no guilt was felt), and locked ourself in our room away from the madness that is Bangkok. I don't know why but the city just doesn't appeal to me. It's too loud even for Natalie Fog Horn Morgan.

We fly out to Koh Samui today where we will be staying in a luxury resort for 10 days before flying to my new home for a year, Australia. I honestly can't wait. We have been taking about this holiday since booking it in March and even though travelling has been amazing, we can't wait to be in the same place for longer than a few days. I might even unpack all my clothes and colour co-ordinate them in the closet and pretend I actually live there, (I am 100% going to do this).

However, I still need to tell you all about our time in Cambodia. We only visited two places as we only had 5 days, Phnom Penh and Siem Reap. 5 days however was enough to make a huge impact and our stay here can only be described as an emotinal rollarcoaster....



Phnom Penh

Our first stop in Cambodia was to the capital, Phnom Penh and the bus journey there was well, pretty shit. The reason being that half of the bus was filled with everything bar the kitchen sink. What I mean by this was that once all the passengers were on the bus, the crew began to load the remaining seats with a stupid amount of poles, bags, boxes, dogs, cats, small children etc as well as about 20 tin containers full of petrol. One of these tins leaked everywhere and I spent the whole 8 hour journey thinking I was going to die in an oscar worthy explosion. Again I was so relieved to make it to the hotel in one piece...


Not too shabby for £2.80 a night eh? 

We had been told that there wasn't much to see in Phnom Penh so we weren't expecting much but I don't think this could be further from the truth. Infact, staying in this city was by far the most fascinating experience of my life. 

We booked a tuk tuk to take us to the Killing Fields of the Choeung Ek prison that were used during the Khmer Rouge communist party reign. I had a rough idea of what the Killing Fields were but what I discovered literally blew me away and will forever stay with me. 

I don't want to say too much about the audio tour because I feel that in order to truely understand the extent it is something you need to experience your self but basically, the Choeung Ek Killing Fields were one of three hundred killing fields based throughout Cambodia and they were used to store the bodies of the executed victims during the Khmer Rouge genocide between 1975 and 1979. Less than 40 years ago. 

Absolutely heart breaking. 

I had shivers the whole time and I am still struggling to comprehend. We visited the Genocide Museum after and the whole day was sobering. I would encourage everyone to research this part of history for themselves because if I was to tell you the facts and figures, I don't think you would believe me. 

If you are ever in Cambodia, make time for this. I can't emphasise it enough. It was just, wow. 



Siem Reap

The second place we visited was Siem Reap. Whilst there we visited the Angkor Watt Temple and it was breathe taking. And the fact it was used in the Lara Croft movie made it ten times cooler. Well that plus the load of monkeys that just casually stroll past you every so often...










It is bloody huge! We spent about two and a half hours walking around, discovering new areas and finding hundreds of good hidding spots. Why you ask? Because it would be the absolute best place in the world for a game of man hunt....duh!? If that isn't  your first thought process when you see it then you are officially boring and no fun. 

The admission price for one day to Angkor Watt is $20 so it is pretty steep but I would say it is worth going to. I have seen my fair share of temples since being in Asia but this is completely different from all the others. You can go and watch the sunrise and sunset over the temple too. The wheather was horrible when we went and too cloudy but I reckon it would worth getting up at 5am for. 

Oh and we also had some traditional Cambodian breakfast, BBQ pork and rice! 



Rice has officially taken over my life. Who would of known that a grain could have so much impact? 

Again I am gutted we couldn't of spent more time in Cambodia. The people were so welcoming and helpful and it would of been great to see more of it. The local Angkor beer also wasn't too bad at 50 Cent a pint! 

Now to demolish the hotel breakfast buffet before our flight. Keep following my Instagram account for daily workouts! I won't be blogging whilst I am away (will be too busy sunning myself, drinking Bloody Mary's and in a state of shock after watching a Ping Pong Show) but I am going to still keep working out and I hope you all will join in! 


No comments:

Post a Comment