Monday 30 March 2015

I Quit Sugar - Week Four

Oh my Christ.

Shit sorry Gran I mean oh my goodness.

We have nearly done it.

We have nearly went an entire month with no sugar.

Two days from now we can officially say that we have quit sugar for 31 full days.

By now our champion trophy's will have our names engraved on them and will be ready to get shipped to our wee house that looks like a drug den. The crowds will be gathered outside our front door as we make our victory speeches, in which we will end by taking a massive chomp out of our snickers bars to a roar of applause.  Even Colleen will do it and die a legend (really bad nut allergy, in fact this chick is allergic to life).

Wednesday is going to be a glorious day.


Okay I am totally aware that this won't happen and we will all just end up hugging one another followed by an awkward silence which will lead to a brawl over who gets the first bite out of the Easter cake, but none the less it will be a great day.

Giving up sugar really has been a lot easier than I thought. I didn't suffer from headaches or major cravings, in fact I could probably keep on going. Yes really. Quitting sugar as made me realise a number of things...

1. Real, natural food tastes just as good if not better.
2. You are not limited to the foods you can eat, there are so many options and they are god dam tasty options.
3. I don't need sugar as much as I thought I did. I don't NEED that tub of ice cream every Sunday or NEED to eat a full family block of chocolate. Yes their will be times I want to and I will, just not every time I watch a movie (does anyone else justify a binge by putting on the Notebook!? Ryan Gosling you sir are the reason behind my cellulite, prick).
4. I am a lot more concious of what I am putting in to my body and there are now foods I will probably not touch again e.g Jordan's Granola. There are other reasons for this too mind you (read my factory girl post).
5. My will power is pretty good, a lot better than I thought.
6. Sugar is not the reason why I have bad skin. I just have bad skin.
7. You don't need sugar for a buzz or a pick me up, you just need to pick YOURSELF up. Stick on Queen B and get dancing!
8. I really enjoy cooking and baking and creating low sugar recipes and have been surprised at how much I have actually enjoyed them
9. You can still be social and people won't look at you like you are bat shit crazy (well not every time)
10. I miss fruit and can't wait to have it back in my life.
11. I miss wine and I can't wait to have it back in my life.

Has giving up sugar changed the way I think about food? Yes. Would I recommend you try it? Yes. Come Easter weekend will I be drunk with a chocolate stained dress twerking in Doms the local night club? Absolutely.

The main thing this challenge has taught me is that sugar shouldn't be used as a crutch for when you have a bad day. It should be kept as a reward for being good all week or for that monthly viewing of the Notebook. Take note I did say monthly and not daily, (take note ha, see what I did there?). Balance is everything. No food is bad food. Everything in moderation and if you want a bit of cake more often there is ALWAYS a healthier alternative.

Speaking  of healthier alternatives,  here is a recipe I found on an amazing IG account (@cookwithemma) for sugar free chocolate fudge...



Ingredients (makes 4-6 brownies)

2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
3 tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cacao powder
1 cup sugar free dark chocolate
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method

Melt all ingredients in a sauce pan until smooth, pour into a brownie tin lined with baking paper and store in the fridge over night to set.

Done.


And also my more or less sugar free taco recipe!

Ingredients (serves 2)


Old El Paso Stand and Stuff tacos (0.1g sugar per serve)
500g Turkey Mince
1 large red pepper
1 red onion
1 packet of taco mix (try and find one less than 1g per serve)
Cheese of choice (make sure it has less than 1g per serve)
1 Avocado
1 Lemon
Salt and Pepper.

Method

Cook mince in pan using 1 tbsp oil (coconut or olive oil), once mince is ready add  chopped pepper, onion and taco mix and leave to simmer for 10 mins.
Mash up avocado and mix with lemon juice, salt and pepper until you get a guacamole consistency.
Place taco shells in microwave for 30 secs.
Stack taco shells with mince, guacamole and cheese and serve.



As easy as that.

I also promised you my leg workout that I did today which honestly nearly killed me so here it is....

6 x 12-15 Squats
4 x 10-12 Sumo Deadlifts
4 x 12-15 Dumbbell Lunges
4 x 10-12 Stiff Legged Deadlifts
3 x max Jump Squats.



This workout took me under 40 minutes. I really don't understand how people can spend hours and hours in the gym or working out. If you are pushing yourself to your maximum potential then 1 hour to 1.5 hours max should be more than enough time.

Quality OVER Quantity.

Until next time when my post will be mostly likely be about how I want to end my life after too much Easter weekend shananigans!


Oh and me and Rust went to a 3rd birthday party on Saturday and played hide and seek all afternoon with toddlers. 

Did you know that the number 10 actually comes after the number 16? No we didn't either. 


Most fun ever! Pair of big wains! 





No comments:

Post a Comment